The following guidelines offer an overview of the building’s operations and may answer some frequently asked questions. Please review these guidelines before applying for housing at the Johnson Building.
Housing Guidelines & Information
Occupancy. Rooms shall be used for private dwelling purposes only, and occupancy shall be by the resident, by other residents assigned to your room, and by no other persons.
Absence or Illness. If you become seriously ill, or if you will be away from the Johnson Building longer than a weekend, please inform your Resident Advisor or call ext. 1605.
- Bicycles. A bicycle rack will be available in the basement for a limited amount of bicycles.
- Computers. Wireless internet service will be included in the FF&E/Amenities Fee and provided at the Johnson Building, but computers and/or printers are not provided. Residents are responsible for maintaining their own email accounts. No technical support is provided. File sharing of any type is strictly prohibited and excessive bandwidth utilizations are cause for internet service to be discontinued.
- Emergencies and Evacuation. Smoke detectors in individual units are NOT connected to the Building’s fire alarm system. Common area smoke detectors and fire alarm pull stations are monitored by a third party that will automatically summon the DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services when activated. When the Building fire alarm is in alarm, audible horns and flashing strobes will be active. In the event of a fire emergency, call 911. Resident Advisors will direct each floor through the evacuation procedures. See Johnson Building Emergency Preparedness Handbook for more information.
- Energy Conservation. All utilities are included in the license fee charged to residents. In order to conserve energy, please turn off appliances, lights, and air conditioning when not in use.
- Fitness Center Hours. The on-site Fitness Center is open to Johnson Building residents from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. on weekdays and 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on weekends and holidays. All residents must first sign a liability waiver and use the Fitness Center at your own risk. Fitness Center access may be suspended if guidelines are not followed, e.g. excessive noise/volume, not returning free weights and equipment to proper locations.
- Housekeeping/Trash Collection. Housekeeping services are provided to clean the common areas. Resident rooms must be kept clean and sanitary at all times by the residents assigned. All floors are equipped with cleaning supplies and vacuum, which can be obtained through the Resident Advisor and/or the patrol officer. Each resident is expected to keep his/her room clean and orderly. Each floor has a trash room. Residents are responsible for depositing trash from your room into the trash room (preferably each morning). Trash will be collected from the trash room daily by the housekeeping service.
- Inspection or Entry into Students’ Rooms. The Housing Administrator reserves the right to enter any room at any time without advance notice when deemed necessary.
- Inter-visitation. Residents must vacate the apartments of the members of the opposite sex by 11:00 p.m. weeknights and by 1:00 a.m. on weekends. Similarly, individuals involved in a romantic relationship must vacate the common areas by 11:00 p.m. on weeknights and by 1:00 a.m. on weekends if they are not accompanied by a larger group of residents.
- Laundry Facilities. The laundry room is for residents’ use only. Intern Housing, LLC is not responsible for loss or theft of any articles left in the laundry room. Hand laundering should be done in the utility tubs adjacent to the washers, not in the bathroom sinks. To report a broken appliance, call ext. 1605. In an emergency situation, call ext. 1600 or your Resident Advisor.
- Lehrfeld Intern Center. The Lehrfeld Intern Center is furnished and is open for use by all residents. This space will also be used as a public space and should be kept clean and free of personal items at all times. Third-party events will be held in the Intern Center from time-to-time, making it unavailable for resident use. No residents or guests may sleep in the Intern Center.
- Locked-Out or Lost Keys/Access Cards. One key is assigned to each resident. Loss of a key or access card results in a $25 fee (per lost item) to replace the lock, keys and/or access card. If you are locked out of your room, contact your Resident Advisor or the Housing Administrator.
- Mail. Mail can be sent to residents at the following address:
Overnight Guests. Non-residents must vacate the building by 11:00 p.m. on weeknights and by 1:00 a.m. on weekends. Guests of residents are permitted to stay overnight upon prior approval by the Resident Advisor and consent of each roommate. Guest Approval Forms are available from the Resident Advisor and must be signed by all of your roommates and Resident Advisor with at least one week advance notice. Overnight guests involved in a romantic relationship with a resident and overnight guests of the opposite gender are not permitted. No more than two guests are permitted per resident or room. There is a maximum stay of three nights for outside guests.Phones. Phones are located in the common areas for emergency purposes. Long-distance calls are not permitted. Quiet Hours. Quiet hours will be observed during the hours of 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. on weekdays, and 1:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. on weekends to respect the rights of others.Repairs. To report a broken appliance, window, etc., contact the Administrator. During a non-emergency email firstname.lastname@example.org or call ext. 1605. During an emergency call ext. 1600.Room Amenities and Décor. Rooms are fully furnished and kitchens are equipped with a refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, toaster oven and coffee maker. Each room is appointed with tasteful art and decorations. Residents are not permitted to hang posters, or personalize the walls, furniture or window treatments. Additional amenities provided: Television, dishware (plates, flatware, glasses), light cooking utensils and microwaveable containers for cooking and storage, ironing board and iron, and shower curtain. A vacuum and cleaning products are available on each floor. Items not provided: stove or oven, bedding (sheets/blankets/pillows), towels, toiletries and paper products.Safety Precautions. We ask that all residents be mindful of safety precautions. Always lock your door, whether you are at home or away. Do not leave keys lying around your room or apartment. Do not lend anyone your keys. Make sure that all doors and windows are secure to protect yourself and your belongings. Do not permit anyone to gain entrance to the Building by holding the door for others to enter behind you. Do not prop doors open and do not “buzz” anyone into the Building unless you know who it is. Avoid walking alone at night. Avoid shortcuts and dark, isolated areas. Stay in well-lit or frequently traveled areas.Smoking. Smoking is strictly prohibited in rooms, inside the Building or on the balconies. Residents are permitted to smoke at a designated area in front of the Building.Solicitation. Door-to-door solicitation is not permitted.Storage. No storage is available. Residents must store all belongings in rooms.Sunbathing. Sunbathing or inappropriate attire is prohibited.
Rules & Regulations
Each Licensee is obligated to act in a manner which will give the other Licensees a peaceful living environment. Accordingly, all Licensees must abide by these specific rules of conduct. These Rules and Regulations are subject to modification by Licensor from time to time and Licensee agrees to abide by the Rules and Regulations as so modified. Any violation occurring in the Premises or anywhere else in the Building of any of these rules of conduct by a Licensee, any member of his or her family, or any of his or her guests, invitees, or anyone in the Premises, is a violation of the License Agreement by the Licensee (and the Licensee is responsible for the conduct of all of the aforesaid persons), and in any such event Licensor shall have the right to immediately terminate the License Agreement and to take immediate possession of the Licensed Space and remove Licensee and all of the aforesaid persons from the Licensed Space and Building. This violation of the License Agreement is not dependent on any criminal charge or finding of guilt in a criminal proceeding, but is instead to be treated as a violation of the License Agreement.
The following conduct is strictly prohibited:
Physical Abuse. Committing physical abuse and/or battery of any person.
Assault. Placing a person in fear of imminent physical danger or injury through the use of verbal or physical threats.
- Drug/Alcohol Violation. The following are strictly prohibited: possession or use of alcohol by Licensee, any member of his or her family, or any of his or her guests, or invitees regardless of age; intoxication on the property; possession of illegal drugs or controlled substances; manufacture or distribution of illegal drugs or controlled substances.
- Weapon Violation. Use, possession, or storage of any firearms, ammunition, knives or other weapons. Items that pose a potential hazard to the safety or health of others are also prohibited.
- False Alarm/Report. Initiating or causing to be initiated any false alarm/report, warning, or threat of fire, explosion, or other emergency.
- Interfering with Johnson Building Operations. Interfering with any of the operations of Intern Housing, LLC or Johnson Building operations, including but not limited to, administration, maintenance, fire, police or emergency services.
- Unsanitary Conduct. Trashing or littering in any elevator or other common area of the Building.
- Dishonesty. Dishonesty, including, but not limited to,
Smoking/Open Flames Prohibited; Misuse of Fire Safety Equipment. No smoking, barbecuing or burning of candles, incense, or any open flames of any kind is permitted in the Premises or the Building. Misuse of or damage to fire safety equipment, such as fire extinguishers or exit signs, is also prohibited.Theft. Theft of property or of services or knowing possession of stolen property.Destruction of Property. Destroying or damaging Building property, or the property of others. Non-compliance. Failure to comply with reasonable directions of Intern Housing, LLC staff, including representatives, police, or special police, acting in performance of their duties.Fireworks Violation. Use or possession of fireworks.Violation of Law. Violation of any federal and/or local law, including, but not limited to, possession of any falsified identification, or preparation, manufacture, sale or distribution of local, state or federal identification.Disorderly Conduct. Acting in any manner to annoy, disturb, interfere with, obstruct, or be offensive to others; shouting or making excessive noise either inside or outside any premises or Building to the annoyance or disturbance of others; verbally abusing any personnel of Intern Housing, LLC or other persons acting in performance of their duties; or acting in a lewd or indecent manner.Discrimination. Committing any of the above acts or any acts proscribed in these Rules and Regulations because of the person’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation.Unauthorized Entry. It is prohibited to enter, without express or implied permission, onto any non Johnson Building Intern Housing space or into any room, facility or office; to refuse to vacate any such property, room, facility or office; to refuse to cease any unauthorized activity; to refuse to produce identification after being requested to do so by any personnel of Intern Housing, LLC or by any police officer; or to remain without authorization in any facility after closing hours.Misuse of Identification or Access Cards. The owner of any identification card will be called upon to account for fraudulent use of his or her identification and will be subject to eviction if he or she has aided such fraudulent use. Each access card to the Premises or the Building in which the Premises are located is assigned to a specific Licensee. Allowing any other person to possess or use that access card is strictly prohibited.Animals in Buildings or on Grounds. No animals of any kind (including, but not limited to, dogs, cats, or birds) are allowed in any Building or on the property, with the exception of bona fide service animals while used for guiding a legally handicapped person.No Parking. No parking space or parking area is provided by Licensor. Parking of any vehicle in any unauthorized area is prohibited. In addition to being a violation of these Rules and Regulations, Licensor shall have the right to have such vehicle towed without notice.
- Furnishing false information to Intern Housing, LLC or their personnel, or to any police officers or special police officers (whether employed by Intern Housing, LLC or not);
- If in any way related to Intern Housing, LLC, forgery, unauthorized alteration or unauthorized use of any documents, records, or identification cards, including computer records, misuse of computer facilities and electronic mailing systems.
INTERN HOUSING, LLC RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE HOUSING GUIDELINES, RULES AND REGULATIONS WITHOUT NOTICE.